Cabling

UP   HOME

Click on any photo to see a larger version


Cable routing was planned somewhat in advance.  I wanted to use as much of the pervious coax as possible.  I manufactured some metal brackets to hold the SO Coax splices to the tower legs.  Made from 18g Mild Steel and painted with Rustoleum Professional gray paint.  An unpainted patch was left on the back side for grounding.

Here is the final shot of the entry plate:

Entry plate
You should note the bright copper patch from where the lightning protector bracket formerly was bolted.  I used the
Georgia Copper Connection Grease (copper based) and this is the result 7 years later.

Detail shot of the lightning protector for the rotor cable:

 Lightning protector
Given my penchant for good connections, despite living in sunny Arizona I crimped the pairs of leads and then soldered them...

Tower Base Grounding


I borrowed my neighbor's Bosch hammer drill and drilled three 5/8" holes through the slab.  Rented a small demolition hammer from Home Despot and my friend Manuel and I pounded in the 8' ground rods.  We tied a rope to the handle of the hammer and I went up on the roof and hauled it up high enough for Manuel to get the hammer onto the rod.  I switched it on and the two of us guided and watched as it put the rod into the ground.  As could be expected I spent more time driving over and back than I did driving the rods...




With the rods in place I stripped the paint from the tower legs in three places and attached the brass grounding clamps to the legs, lubing them up with the Georgia Copper Connection Grease.  A piece of #2 THNN (Home Despot didn't have bare) was run from each of the clamps to the rods and secured with a brass acorn clamp.  Copper grease was used on these connections as well.





Detail shot of one connection.  I plan to seal around the rod so water does not seep in and combine with our saline soil and corrode the ground rod.